Tuesday 16 March 2010

Week

Monday

Looking at Mr. Endo and think for the first time, "Is that a wig?"

Despite having 8 hours sleep last I still couldn't get up this morning and I'm still tired now.

It takes the students a shocking amount of time to decide their favourite food, singer and movie, and write down their own birthday. Some of the girls seem on the verge of tears.

New laptops and printers are installed in the staff-room. I now have two printers on "my" desk.

Tuesday

Three identical lessons which are/is boring. Read, read and wait for repetition, read something else. One kid talks while I read so I give him a stone cold stare and the class falls into a devastating silence. Help three students in each class with the writing because that's all there is time for. Many students write nothing, not even their own names. "Do you know your own name?"

Wednesday

I want to poo but the toilet is way too cold. Some idiot always leaves a window wide open despite the fact there's a functioning extractor fan in there. It feels like an open air toilet. I think the poo will hold position but there's still two hours of work to go.

Thursday

Watch 24. Watch Monday Night Raw. Watch myself crying in the mirror not sure if I'm faking it or not.

Friday

It's graduation and I'm wearing a suit and sitting behind the vice principal which feels important but I don't know any of the students in the third grade except one and I'm worried that I can be seen on the projected live video feed because I just scratched myself.

The most moving part of the ceremony was when the handicapped kids got their papers and looked absolutely terrified the entire time. They botched the timing of the bow but no-one cared. Everyone should've realised something important about life at this point but no-one did, including me.

It's over and I'm hungry but I'm worried the sushi will be bad. It's okay. The male teachers sit around the extra helpings box and raid it. The women wash the dishes afterwards. Somewhere a baby cries.

The third graders are waiting to leave and I find the one girl I actually know so I can say good-bye. She doesn't seem interested in talking which upsets me because she said we were friends. Flashback to my high school days and now I'm depressed. Hang around the students so it doesn't look like I only came down to talk to one girl, which I did. Say congratulations to some boys but they respond "No, we're next year." This makes me look totally insincere, which I am. Take some pictures with students, mostly (all?) girls and leave.

1 comment:

globalimagination said...

"Say congratulations to some boys but they respond "No, we're next year," this makes me look totally insincere which I am."

ahahahaha you need to submit all this as your portion of the JET advice book.