Thursday 12 May 2011

After Earthquake and Return to England

There was thick black mud where the tsunami had been. Destroyed cars were thrown all over the place. I found a bible lying open on the promenade. 

About 200 people queued for water at the town hall and there were other similar queues around town. The supermarket was well stocked and full of people. The Japanese snacks were untouched, proving once again that no one likes them. I bought lots of frozen food and some sugary drinks. 

I defecated into a black bin-bag because there was no water to flush the toilet. It was pretty heavy. Chie and I went to her family's house because they had running water. We took all our frozen food and our bags of turd. Good family atmosphere. 

Then the nuclear power plant started exploding. Chie and I went back to Onahama to get some stuff and I gave bottles of water to Liam for him to give to the other Onahama JETs who were holed up watching Naruto or something. 

Everyone at the Chie's family's house ate the food I brought. I woke up and I didn't want to get up but I did and went out with the family to find fuel. People were queuing at petrol stations that were empty and had closed for the day. The nuclear plant exploded a few more times and I decided to flee to England with Chie. We already had plans to leave on March 23rd but bought tickets for March 17th. British Airways, naturally. 

Big aftershock as I bought the tickets online. It sounded like other JETs were having a nightmare getting buses to different places. Somehow 14 people ended up at one person's apartment for an orgy. Eventually the majority of Iwaki JETs left Iwaki. 

I quickly packed a rucksack of essentials and warm clothes, in case things went to hell and we ended up stuck in a cold evacuation centre. Chie took half an hour packing everything she owned for our England holiday. My good friend Liam had a flight to Australia the next day. Chie and I brought him to the family house before he ended up stuck at the orgy. 

Chie's parents took the three of us to Mito and we got a taxi to the airport. Liam left the next day while Chie and I stayed in the hotel for three calm and somewhat guilty nights - with hot showers and a breakfast buffet. We ended up saying goodbye to Chie's parents four times. Once at the taxi in Mito, twice at the airport and again at the hotel. It got less dramatic each time. 

On the plane I knew that I would return one day. Not out of loyalty or charity but because it's my job and I live in Iwaki and I left my laptop behind.




No comments: